Before I left work, Brian handled a number of small projects at the house. He taped the door, plugged the gap over the header (with a 2×6) and installed the trim. He also inspected the insulation for other rips or tears so we’d be full steam ahead with the 4×4 plywood. Lastly, he ran some errands (paid for the gravel, picked up food, etc) so that we could get right to work when the shack was closed.
Oh and one other thing – fence repair. We still have occasional ‘visitors’ who take out their angst on the fence that blocks off the shortcut from Combs to Idaho Street. That run of “fencing” is mostly piles of old barbed wire, railroad ties and garbage collected off the property as well as a few t-posts and a run of green garden fence. So Brian fixed the spot the entitled neighbor had used to cross over and will probably reinforce the area with the wire rabbit fence we had previously used for the dogs.
Additionally, while visiting the top of our hill, we found that someone had (again) made mischief at our southern corner. This time, instead of knocking the t-posts askew, they removed the diagonal posts and made off with them. It seems that the t-posts that were driven into the ground were too much trouble to steal so they took what was easy.
We are guessing whoever is causing trouble is a disgruntled hiker/biker who would prefer that we not fence in our yard. Same with the lower, shortcut area. Well, too bad suckers. We’re now talking about a stone wall on the top of the hill since that is the area near the hiking trails of Boston Hill. For the time being, we are not going to replace the diagonals since they will likely take them again unless they’re loaded in place by taut barbed wire.
Back to the house – As soon I got off work, we connected the inverter to the Fit in to provide light and started strategizing about how to finish the top run of insulation. The difficulty is in trying to hold the insulation up, against gravity, AND getting screws in to the 2×4 to hold it in place.
We decided to build two, A-frame stands to hold the 2×4. Oh, and the 2×4 was not 16′ long – it was 23′ 4″ long, created by connecting a 16 foot-er and two scrap pieces. With our mega 2×4 resting on the two A-frame stands, we carefully and patiently pulled the insulation (which we had unrolled and staged atop the cross beams) over the top of the 2×4. Once we had the insulation centered, we were ready to attach it.
We considered hoisting the 2×4 up in the middle and attaching it there first but the combined weight of the insulation and mega 2×4 was too heavy and unwieldy. Thus, we went to one side, I held it up and Brian connected it. We worked our way to the other side, driving in a screw every few feet and then voila, we were done attaching furring strips! Phewwwweeee!
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.