Yesterday was Window Day #1. We purchased some more supplies and arrived at the house around 6:15pm. To save time, we drove the dog team over in the Fit and got to enjoy Sydney’s musical selection, which featured aggressive whining and panting so hard she sounded like a clogged up turkey baster. She needs a chill pill!
We started with one of the small windows on the north side because it would be easier to learn with. We removed the pre-existing screws and took out the window. Next, to ensure water moves away from the house (in the case of water getting past the window sealing), Brian used a handsaw to create a slope on the outside of the window box (see featured image above).
While Brian worked on the window, I began the task of reinforcing the LP Smartside attachment by adding extra nails near the too-deep nails and between them (according to the directions – every 6 inches as opposed to the crew’s 12 inch spacing). I very quickly developed a respect for builders. Swinging a hammer is hard! At least until you practice a few times. I drove two nails in like an ‘s’ – meaning right, left, right, left and had to carefully remove them and try again. Almost as a joke to myself, I tried to use my left hand. Yep, not going to happen.
In the end, I practiced a few times with the lighter hammer and then graduated up to the heavier one and was eventually able to drive the nails in with a few, accurate and hard hits.
By the time we placed shims and got the window back in place (leveling and finishing will happen today), we were at the point of low light. I cleaned up our stuff (man, building materials spread out fast!) and let the dogs out of their enclosure so they could use the facilities one last time. And by facilities, I mean 2 seconds of peeing and several minutes of sniffing out potato chip fragments left by the crew. That’s Trooper’s new favorite game. A good day!
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.