The Tour of the Gila started this morning. Brian happened to be at the apartment when the race started and the course goes right by our rental apartment. Fred’s cage is next to a window so he got to see the chaos and hear all the sirens. Brian said he got super amped-up, beeping loudly and swinging around upside down. Exciting stuff in Silver City.
This also happened –
Motorcycle with sidecar, dogs with goggles. Thank you so much for visiting the coffee shack. You made my morning.
One of our regular ‘treats’ is hot chocolate made with canned coconut milk, almond/coconut/cashew milk to thin the coconut milk and raw cacao powder. I normally mix one can of coconut milk with 1.5 cans worth of the milk substitute. In this case, because we were nearly out of the milk substitute, I used just barely one can of milk substitute. After refrigerating the leftovers, this happened.
We didn’t get as much paneling done as we would have liked. Somebody made a mess of a vulnerable spot in our fence, kind of damaging a tree in the process. That’s not cool. So Brian spent some time and fortified the spot. He also had to fix some toenails on the north wall and partally remove a first-row panel in order to fix a bulge. Lastly, he applied the triple-thick to a piece of our tri-ply plywood with different levels of counter-sunk screws in order to see what would happen.
Someone knocked down a small tree at the end of the fence which created a small cactus filled gap that someone might get through without minimal bloodshed. The gap has now been filled with an overwhelming mass of rusting junk and barbed wire.
Another view. Brian collected the junk from our lost and found pile of metal.
Bulge in a panel.
Cause of the bulge
After trimming the 2×6 with the oscillating tool and reattaching the panel, everything looked lovely.
Brian decided to make gaps around the box after having attached the panel. Thanks to the increased precision of the new oscillating tool blade, it was easy to trim in place.
Post trim job.
This is the tester board Brian made. The four corners have pieces of wood attached using different heights of screws (to see the effects of inconsistent countersinking).
One quart of Varathane triple-thick polyurethane
It’s super thick and creamy looking. Mmmm. Don’t eat it!
Sloppily applying the polyurethane. Brian wanted to do this first test with little precision so we would know how careful we need to be when we do the walls. You can see there is a lot of brush strokage and streaking.
Side view of the coated wood. You can kind of see some polyurethane gooping near the screw that is connected to the other piece of panel. That screw wasn’t countersunk at all and collected its own little mound.
Close-up of the screws
Color comparison – polyurethane on the sample piece and a bare panel beneath it.
The one panel of the third row we got attached.