Before leaving work, Brian compiled a list of all the side/support projects, including –
Move the rabbit fence and reinforce the barbaric fence
- Finish screwing the east furring strips (they were attached but had a few screws we skipped when we were trying to maximize time with our helper)
- Fix the uneven furring strip on the high part of the west wall
- Remove the temporary sistering on the top furring strip and add screws
- Install drip cap over door
- Patch insulation (we found a few rips high up while working Monday night)
- Tape seams between insulation sheets
- Seal unseated error screw on the northside roof that the crew left
- Vacuum up all the metal dust we created from the furring strip installation
- Add the second furring strip under the cross beams on the west side
We completed the fence (#1) and the drip cap (#5). We also took some pictures of the new fence.
Burrrrr….what a chilly night. Before getting to the paneling, we tackled a few more items on our list. We finished the missing screws (#2), fixed the uneven furring strip (#3), removed the sistering (#4), patched the insulation (#6) and taped the two seams on the top piece of insulation (#7). Only items pending are #8 – #10.
It was around 7:10 when we finished with the seam taping. It took a long time, much longer than expected. By that time, the temperature had plummeted to about 40 degrees and my hands were freezing. Pulling the backs of the tape took forever, extending the time it took to get a piece of tape up.
The final thing we did before leaving was examine the connection points for a 4×4 panel and the two furring strips. The top part of the house has the most angle. When we centered the panel on the strips, we found that the distance is slightly too great and we’ll have to leave a gap at the center ridge. We also found that the panel hit the top furring strip at too sharp an angle and won’t create a strong connection without backing. We’ll need to add something to remove the gap.
I think the weather lady is a celebrity in Silver City. Her spot airs on the radio, on four different stations, multiple times throughout the hour. The four stations are owned by the same company and use the same lady. Anyway….the lady and her forecast of doom were lighting up the radio all day Wednesday and Thursday.
Brian hit up the hardware store midday to brainstorm how to attach the panels at the center furring strip. We were thinking about getting 2x4s and cutting a V-groove out – thus creating a place for angled attachment on each side. His foray to the store was fruitful – apparently, there are wooden strips call chamfer strips that create the exact angle we need. No need to cut 2x4s.
By the time I wrapped up shack stuff and got to the house, it was already 43 degrees. Tooooo cold. To make things worse, we forgot to take the dog dinner out of the freezer to thaw. Sorry dogs; it looks like you’re going to be gnawing on meat popsicles in the cold for awhile.
We made some progress before we called it a night. Brian devised a system for holding up panels without having a human helper. By driving in two screws slightly below the spot where the bottom of the panel will go, he was able to rest the panel on the screws and then secure it in place.
He attached 3 panels (see featured image above) and then discovered that they bow out/down at different angles, creating unwanted gaps between the boards’ edges. We decided that we’ll need to put in vertical 2×4’s between the furring strips so that we have a hard connection point at the edges of the panels. This will make the walls much sturdier and provide solid attachment points for whatever.
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.