Days 156-159: Sandstone Smashing & More Fencing

Thursday, 12/17
A day of mining.  It turns out the increase in digging difficulty has led us to a rock infested area.  Every time you think the last bowling ball sized sandstone chunk is over with, two more emerge in its place.   The tiller claw tool doesn’t really work on these directly so the ‘easiest’ solution has been to use the junk hammer and just whale on it hoping for large fractures.

Our landlord at the shack deals in granite and kitchen remodeling. He has offered to give us some scrap granite for our small kitchen setup. We then hired him to cut the hole and polish the edges. This is our diagram.

Our landlord at the shack deals in granite and kitchen remodeling. He has offered to give us some scrap granite for our small kitchen setup. We then hired him to cut the hole and polish the edges. This is our diagram.  I believe the plan is to have it cut on Tuesday.

Friday, 12/18
Nada!  Evening off.

Saturday, 12/19
Brian has gotten through the rock zone; just to find another rock zone.  Slow, hard work!

We started the fourth run of barbed wire, beginning at the top of the hill and working down; still working on the same section (our northeast side).  After we get the wire back to the starting point near our driveway, we’re likely going to take a break from running wire and start pounding in t-posts on the southeast side.

caption

Can you spot what is out of place?

Sunday, 12/20
We finished the fourth run of barbed wire!  We think we’re going to do 6 total, so only 2 more runs to go.  This project is super satisfying – we get to observe immediate and tangible progress as we work.

With the fourth run complete, we decided to take a break from barbed wire and begin the t-posts on the top of the hill.  So, first task was hiking up the hill carrying our loppers, hand saw, t-post hammer and bucket of miscellaneous goods (string and ear protection).  Then we came back down the hill, each of us grabbed a bundle of 5 t-posts and hiked them to the top.  I then went down and collected the final 3 t-posts and Sydney.

It doesn’t sound like much, but the movement of materials required a tremendous amount of exertion.  Carrying awkward and/or heavy things up a steep, cactus-laden, scrub brush-covered hill is challenging.  But again…quite satisfying.

We created an absolutely beautiful run of t-posts.  Unlike the line of t-posts we’ve been attaching barbed wire to (which go up/down a hill), this line of t-posts is exactly on the property line.  Going up/down the hill often required a post to be off the line because of rock conflicts, a wash or a giant low spot.  The latest t-post territory is still on varied terrain but it’s all at the same level.

Once we finished with the 13 t-posts we had hauled up, we went over to the top (south) corner and removed the 10-12 posts we had installed there.  Why?  The survey update that resulted in us gaining 10ish feet on the far east corner also changed our south corner position.  It isn’t fun to redo work but that run of posts had been pretty ugly anyway.

We attached all but 5 of the reclaimed t-posts and made it down the hill right as all light disappeared.  The dogs were so pooped from all the hiking that they barely managed to drag themselves into the car.

One thought on “Days 156-159: Sandstone Smashing & More Fencing

  1. Greg Gadd

    Mom and I are so proud of you guys and knowing that the end run will be so satisfying for you both. Love and miss you.

    Reply

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *