Picked up 11 giant pipes. Some for the drain piping in plumbing wall, some for the french drain. Then we realized that we’d prefer solid wall Schedule 40 PVC for drain plumbing (not ‘cellular’ aka ‘foam core’ which is probably fine but not as sturdy). We’ll have to do the exchange tomorrow. Beautiful day and a beautiful week ahead of us. If it holds, we’ll make some real progress. COME ON conduit bendy-man! Do the job!
Hip hip HURRAY! Hip hip HURRAY! Hip hip HURRAY! The electric man bent the conduit. Thank you sir! We did the PVC pipe exchange and collected more stuff.
Collection of stuff. Galvanic corrosion research related to building the electric service entrance. Galvanic corrosion is a situation where fastening dissimilar metals together results in faster than normal deterioration of one or the other metal. Best avoided in permanent installation of anything. Summary of key findings (under non-marine conditions):
- Trivalent chromium treated zinc plated steel (GoldGalv) touching galvanized steel: It’s fine. Anything that involves zinc plated steel at all is compatible with anything else that involves zinc plated steel at all. In other words: zinc electroplated, hot dip galvanized and chromate treated galvanized are all considered the same thing in terms of galvanic corrosion.
- Stainless steel touching galvanized steel: Galvanic corrosion can occur. Avoid. It’s basically ok if the stainless steel component is tiny though – like a stainless steel bolt through a piece of galvanized steel.
- Aluminum touching galvanized steel: It’s fine.
- Mild steel touching galvanized steel: It’s fine.
- Mild steel touching stainless steel: Avoid.
Measurements and stud prep. Brian bought new socks. First time in 8 years I believe (no joke). Similar to my winter coat and fleece jacket. I’ve had them since 2005.
Where did the week go? More brainstorming and measurements for the attachment of the meter box and breaker panel.
Also, we decided to mix things up and attended a ballroom dance class. Foxtrot is a hoot.Saturday, 1/16
Brian made the metal brackets for the service entrance out of the B-line strut beam…..
We didn’t work on the house and instead used the last remaining rays of sunlight to walk into Boston Hill and then down into the property from the top corner. We haven’t gone on a hike in a while so it was much appreciated by the whole team. The dogs loved it.
When our top (southern) corner was in sight, we noticed something was off. The hooligans had visited again. We thought we could take a break on securing the fence because we had one run of barbed wire on that corner. Apparently it wasn’t enough, especially given that the corner post wasn’t full secured in earth and had been wrestled into the ground between rocks.
So….getting a few more runs on that corner is a priority.
We were eager to get working on the house so it was no problem to rise early, clean house, grab pups and head over. We spent most of the day running barbed wire. The corner is now super secure and we shouldn’t have anymore problems. We have three runs on most of those two sides.
We then started the conduit work by measuring where the brackets would go and drilling a hole through the wall to mark the location of the stud (so it could be seen from the outside). We then marked the spot up high, went outside, assembled the ladder and snapped a chalk line. We also filed down the rough metal edges on the brackets so they wouldn’t damage the paint.
Also, we were recently asked if we considered any other fully or partially pre-fab small house companies and we did indeed. We will write more on them later but the two we considered were Kanga Room Systems and ASUL.