One of the reasons we have been so successful at staying on track is we always try to have the next part of the project lined up. So even though the first part of this week’s work is painting and painting prep, we are already investigating how to frame the bathroom and which pocket door we want to buy. We are also considering purchasing an impact driver for attaching the furring strips to the metal ribs on the inside of the house.
Long day at work so we had a late start at the house. I painted the top sides of the trim while Brian continued caulking the seams on the south side. Because the Arched Cabin crew did not exactly follow installation instructions with the LP Smartside siding, the panels have poor and inconsistent spacing between them. After examining the dried caulk that Brian applied two days ago, we have decided to really goop up the seams to prevent a canyon from appearing at some point in the future. Brian recaulked nearly all of the south side.
The featured image at the top is the completed south side with super caulked seams. [Trooper is admiring Brian’s work.] I’ve started taping off in preparation of painting and also finished the second coat on the trim. More ditch digging also. We had an (unpredicted) torrential monsoon downpour around 3pm so we were working in a mud field. I guess it worked out that we weren’t ready to paint.
We went ahead and ordered the impact driver and have started compiling a list of essential items to pick up for the larger home improvement stores in Las Cruces. We already know what plumbing fixtures we’d like and what kind and color of flooring we’re going to go with. While picking up an additional quart of trim color yesterday, we also started looking at bright colors for the interior.
A few people have commented that arched cabins are too dark. And they can be. If they’re too long (big) and/or do not have any high windows, the result can be a little tunnel-esque. We decided to select windows based on strict glazing guidelines for successful passive solar design as opposed to ‘glaze-like-crazy’. We live in an area with abundant sunlight (>300 days of sunshine per year) and have no concerns whatsoever about not having enough light. We frequently leave our lights off at our present apartment because it is nice to escape the sometimes overwhelming light. Additionally, if in the future, we desire more light, all we have to do is go out on our porch or climb our hill.
But anyway – we are looking at interior paint and we want to create a nice ‘bounced light’ affect. If we were to choose darker paint, we’d be leaning in the direction of tunnel-esque. So we are considering colors along the lines of “mellow yellow” and “original white”. [Who comes up with these names? “Believable Buff” “Convivial Cream” “Friendly Yellow” “Adventure Orange” ]
A lot of our progress is limited by the one ladder being hogged by Brian. That being said, I don’t think renting a second one would benefit us much since I’d still only want to work up to a certain height. Therefore, many of the next steps will be ladder limited and we’ll probably work on the same project together (i.e. caulk together, then tape together, etc). That’s also where the ditch digging comes in. Whenever I can’t contribute to the house, I go play in the dirt.
We started researching how to seal the openings under eaves; the gaps where the panel’s ribs make a dome away from the house. These spaces will also likely present an open invitation to birds and bugs, so the sooner we close it up, the better. Two options we’re considering are spray-in foam and pre-cut foam blocks that we’d stuff in.
We got an excellent start on the north side caulking. We each took on an aspect (me – squeezing out caulk ; Brian – smearing) so we were able to move quickly. The lower section is done and there are just 2 or 3 seams high up to complete. I also finished taping everything that I could reach without a ladder.
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.