First thing Brian did upon arriving at the house was cut the top piece of mast (the piece with the offset bend) so that it rose 3 feet above the height of the roofline (See Day 201 for the measurement process). Any higher than that requires a guy-line. He then tested our newly threaded conduit piece by connecting the two pieces.
He found that the thread is a little off square and results in that section being a degree or two away from straight. Hopefully this added bend will not get in the way of solidly clamping the mast against the house; otherwise we’ll have to ditch this one and thread a different piece. It all depends on which axis the bend ends up at once everything is tightly threaded together.
The night ended with some rhumba review and a little swing.
We started the day with an awesome sunrise hike. We drove the dogs over to Boston Hill around 6:30am and hiked to the highest point. After a 2 minute pause to enjoy the vista, we sped back down the hill(s) in order to get to work on time.
Our accomplishments for the evening included attaching the final bracket for the mast (the highest one), removing the one that was in the wrong place and replacing the screws to block the holes (complete with butyl rubber around the screw heads), and finally removing all of the other brackets and reattaching them with butyl rubber behind them.
After taking care of all that bracket stuff, we had probably 30 minutes of light left. Seeing as how both of us had terribly cold feet, we decided to stop for the night.
We slept in a bit, ran errands, and arrived at the property around 11ish. Here’s what we did –
Once we attached the service entrance mast for the (semi) final time, we headed inside to finish a task that has been pending for several months – the final furring strip. If you recall from Day 103, the first cross-beam related furring strip (east side) was cut to fit between the spaces. On Day 109, we changed our strategy on the west side – furring strips above AND below the crossbeams – which required fewer cuts. However, after completing the furring strip above, we realized the wall panels needed a connection in the middle after all or else we’d have a big gap at the wall panel seam.
Since the insulation was held in place by the top 2×4, there wasn’t any real sense of urgency to cut another bunch of 2x4s and attach them between the cross beams. Soooo….after about 100 days, we decided it was time to finish that side. With the light fading away, we set up our cutting station outside, took measurements, cut the lumber and attached everything. Phew! (Picture to be included on next post.)