The paneling has started! What an exciting day. Our goal is to attach all of the 4×4 panels that we have presently so we know how many more we need when we head to Tucson on Sunday.
Brian got in a few solid hours at the house during the afternoon. He had to call it quits around 4:30 to start dog duty. We were due for an evening of marathon coffee roasting at Bean Vivant, so Brian took care of dogs and I made dinner. We roasted from 5:45pm-9:15pm.
The featured image above is the first panel to the left of the doorway. This is where the fridge will be. The oscillating tool was absolutely awesome for trimming the edges of the tri-ply and for cutting out the holes for the outlets and fixtures.
Also – The building inspector came by for our insulation inspection – we passed!
More paneling and organizing of stuff inside the house. With a rain threat scheduled for overnight or Friday afternoon, we had to make room to bring our non-exterior grade plywood inside. Additionally, Brian had to re-seat several toe-nails on the south wall that the arched cabin crew’s nail gun had left protruding a bit. They really should have been toe nailing inside the wall cavity instead. As they were, their nails stuck out from the wall plane and caused bumps in our panels; not to mention several cracked studs .
Brian removed the nails, created a deeper hole using the counter-sink bit and then reinstalled the nails. In one instance, the nail had created a severe crack in the stud so he removed the nail entirely and replaced it with a screw (in a slightly different un-cracked place).
We finished the house! April fools…
We went ahead and paid for the month of April. Two weeks doesn’t seem like enough time.
Brian spent most of the work window on the shower enclosure situation. He made the shower base-to-stud connections and, with it all pinned down, he could then remove the sand bags. Then he installed odd protruding studs that the shower wall instructions ask for at the opening, made an elegant silicone ramp around the drain so water wouldn’t sit in the open groove and finally clamped the ‘no-calk’ connection to the drain pipe. Brian doesn’t understand why it’s called a ‘no-calk’ shower drain. There are so many issues with this:
- Why misspell caulk? Or is ‘calk’ something different?
- It’s not like you’d ever use caulk to seal the drain-to-pipe connection anyway; hence any shower drain could be considered ‘no calk’ in that sense
- Even though it’s a ‘no calk’ drain, you do have to use silicone caulk to seal the drain body to the shower base
- On their web site, Oatey calls the rubber gasket that makes the seal a ‘calking ring’. Is this a ‘no calk’ product or isn’t it?
Anyhow, the ‘no calk’ aspect of the drain means it’s relatively easier to install in our case versus a PVC drain that would solvent weld to the pipe. Solvent welds are tricky enough without coordinating the gluing of the shower base in place simultaneously. And brass drains are said to be worth the extra cost due to their sturdiness and minimal thermal expansion/contraction.
When considering putting the roof on top of the bathroom, Brian noticed that there would basically be no clearance between it and the bathroom fan. Putting heavy stuff up there might cause enough deflection to bear down on it. Therefore he re-situated the bathroom fan and its duct to allow 1/4″ clearance from above while preserving slope. He used ‘plumbers tape’ metal banding to force down the fan duct low enough to accommodate. He also installed the kitchen sink drain arm.
A day of travel and shopping in Tucson. We picked up 24 more 4×4 tri-ply panels and took care of business stuff. By the time we arrived back in Silver City, it was too late to get started on house stuff. We unloaded the car and called it a night. Tomorrow marks the true start of paneling. Hopefully, there won’t be any more prep work surprises.