A day of fixing outlets and working on the shower enclosure. Even though we had reset several outlets over the weekend, we were not satisfied with how they looked once the cover plate was attached. Then, we learned of a great thing [finally] – box extenders!
The box extenders allow us to keep the nail-on boxes in their original positions and require no effort to install.
Next shower enclosure update: after dry-fitting it on Sunday, we learned that the weird protruding studs that hold the front edges of the side panels were a little too high. Enter the oscillating tool – quick shave down and all is well.
Brian was beginning to attach the panels to the studs when I arrived after work. I helped counterweight the stool so Brian could lean over the shower base distance to reach the back wall and drill holes. The plan is to attach the shower prior to applying the adhesive so that all the holes and placement are established. This will enable a speedy attachment process so that the panels can get locked properly in place before the adhesive dries.Tuesday, 4/12
Rain, rain go away….Pinos Altos even got snow. Holy moly. Today Brian began working on the bracing system that will load the walls of the shower enclosure while the adhesive cures. He also shimmed and screwed the side walls of the shower enclosure and readjusted the back panel to make the top flush.
“The sphinx-people at Delta tech support like to recommend third party products in such a way that they are likely to remain a mystery. Previously the manual requested a latex/acrylic sealant for the drain flange which I couldn’t find locally or on the internet until 3 weeks later. Apparently ‘Master Plumber’ makes it. This time I needed clarification on the sealant that goes between and around the panels. They specify an ‘advanced kitchen and bath polymer sealant’. “Silicone? No we don’t like silicone”, they say. Reviewers of the enclosure corroborate, saying silicone detaches after awhile. If you look at all available options, ‘DAP 3.0 Advanced Kitchen and Bath Sealant’ seems like the closest match. But guess what? It’s silicone based. What about the ‘polymer’ part of Delta’s description? Well ANY caulk is polymer based – even silicone ones, so that doesn’t really help. Anyhow, as far as I can tell, Lexel is what Delta is recommending and we’ll see how it goes. A reviewer of a different Delta shower enclosure claimed that Lexel is the only thing that will stick to it.”
On the brace front Brian devised a way to use shims to create a brace system that would load itself in place. This is an improvement on the system created yesterday.
A very exciting day at the Arched Cabin!!!
The shower enclosure’s protruding stud on the left side had a crown such that the middle was 4mm sunk in from the top & bottom. Since the shower door rail mounts on this, the crown has to be dealt with. Brian made a shim construct in the center and took pictures of it.
Next up – filling the gaps on the bathroom paneling. After cutting and attaching the piece over the pocket door side, we realized what we had once considered an inconvenience (the small gap) was actually an artistic opportunity to make the wall look really cool. After seeing how cool it came out on the pocket door side of the bathroom, we decided we would replicate the look on the kitchen side.
First task – remove the shower enclosure braces. Next, attach the skinny piece for the gap on the kitchen side and reinforce the seam by attaching a bunch of ‘junk’ pieces of lumber (see last picture for clarification). Lastly, cut and attach horizontal panels for the remainder of the kitchen side.