The goals today were to get started on the paneling for the ceiling of the bathroom (not the top, the inside of the bathroom). Then, we would panel the top of the bathroom and finally continue the paneling toward the shower enclosure and finish the walls near and above the enclosure.
That isn’t exactly how it went down, but it was a productive day nonetheless.
In order to work on the bathroom ceiling and top, we needed to move the 4×4 tri-ply sheets that had been stored there. Aren’t they pretty?
While waiting for me to arrive to help with the ceiling, Brian started correcting a seam issue on the piano wall. Just like with the kitchen, we hadn’t ended the boards on a stud so there was flop and an uneven connection. You can see the bulge in the seam here.
Addition of junk pieces to create attachment points along the entire length of the seam.
What we didn’t mention about Saturday evening was that after all that other stuff was said and done, we started trying to attach the ceiling piece. Brian had already cut the basic shape – next task was to press it in place against the edges, allow for an 1/8″ gap and draw the cutout for the ceiling fan.
We took it down and trimmed edges probably 20 times Saturday night and another 15 times Sunday morning before we were satisfied with the fit and able to trace the bathroom fan. Then, we cut the fan out, fitted and trimmed it another 5 or 6 times and finally began the attachment process.
Also, prior to heading to the house, we did our domestic duties, including shaving another 1/3 of Trooper’s body. Poor guy – now he really looks foolish.
Working with your arms overhead is super hard. I was at my reach limit. Brian held the board for each fitting except the last time when I held it so he could check everything and then began attaching screws.
Time to attach the panel.
Ceiling panel in place – the only pending task is to attach some wood above the panel along the back edge (behind the ceiling fan) so that the edge of the board has something to attach to.
Once the main bathroom ceiling panel was attached, it was time to measure, cut and start fitting the panel to cover the remainder of the space. You can see in this picture that after we cut off some excess length in order to get the skinny panel above the furring strip it was still slightly too long.
The skinny panel depicted in the previous picture is the arched wall end. This picture is Brian attaching the piano wall end in place. This narrow space is the remainder between the shower enclosure and the pocket door. Look at all those right angles! Shoulder to elbow to wrist.
With the ceiling panels mostly attached, we moved to the top of the bathroom to create attachment points at the seam where the two panels meet.
This is the top of the bathroom on the arched wall side (note the shiny foil insulation). We have placed a 2×2 piece of scrap lumber on top of the bathroom framing, behind the last rafter. Brian is attaching it from the right-hand side of the rafter. This 2×2 lines up directly above the edge of the inside panels, creating a perfect line of edge attachment.
Brian kneeling on some plywood on top of the bathroom. After completing this side, we attached a few 2×4 scraps to the piano side (behind the fan).
I have no clue what they were investigating but both dogs were snarfing and digging on the hill for awhile.
Seam detail where the crossbeam comes in.
Twas a really nice start to the week. The weather was beautiful and we had an awesome bathroom that was coming together. Brian did the fit, trim, attach routine and finished the top, 3/4″ plywood pieces.
Enjoying the tree-house-like bathroom. What beautiful walls!
Thanks to butyl ‘tape’, now all the bath fan air goes into the duct instead of into the rafter cavity.
HVAC foil tape makes the duct connection really permanent.
Another gorgeous day in Silver City. Did we mention that Bean Vivant was selected as the Best Coffee Stand in Silver City by New Mexico Magazine? That was the March 2016 edition but due to the pace of things here, people are just now swinging by to congratulate us. The house is coming together and business is great.
New Mexico Magazine, March 2016
New Coffee Beans April 2016
Back at the house-
After finishing the top of the bathroom and taking a moment to enjoy the look of the wood, we started to have a change of heart about our paint colors. What if we went with …wait for it… no paint colors? Why not just leave the whole room as natural wood and protect the surface with some sealant?
We decided to wait until more paneling was up on the surrounding walls so that we could really understand what natural wood all around would look like. But we’re already seriously tempted. The wood creates such a warm and soft environment. While we continue paneling, we’ll research our local options for water-based polyurethane (clear coat).
Brian attached the most difficult panel yet and also attached the small piece that goes above the back section of the shower enclosure. Two pieces left for the bathroom!
This was a very challenging panel due to the holes (stub-out for vanity, light fixture and shower sprayer) and the cutout for the shower enclosure.
Accomplishments – 4×8 panel with cutout for the shower enclosure and the smaller panel above the back of the enclosure.
Brian cut and attached the final two panels and started working on the very small strips that will fill in the spaces above 8 feet high.
Brian cut and attached the panel that goes above and alongside the right-hand side of the shower – he kept it as one piece with a big wide top and then a skinny strip to run down the side of the shower enclosure. He also cut and attached the skinny-tall piece that is on the front of that stud.
This skinny vertical piece was the start of the filler pieces. Note the slim stripe remaining above all the panels.