Weather warning – sustained winds of 30 mph with frequent gusts up to 50 mph. We are definitely in the windy season. Brian took off midday and took care of some returns. We accumulate unneeded/unused items every week so we usually try to return those things on Monday or Tuesday and get them out of our hair. We also ordered our triple-thick Varathane – 14 packs, each containing 2 quarts. Expected delivery is Wednesday of next week.
We are lucky to have great friends. One such friend came over after work to help Brian for a few hours. Having an extra pair of hands while doing the high-up stuff is really helpful. Together, they finished the third row.
In order to finish the third row of panels on the south wall, we had to cut a panel to accommodate the HRV.
Since we still had the piece that was removed to create the hole for the HRV, we could use that as a stencil to trace the hole onto two panels.
The two panels with the hole to be cut.
The first piece fits.
One of the things we have to keep in mind when fitting the panels in place is whether or not they have an edge that ends too close to a stud. If it does, we can’t fit a bridge into place for connecting the panel to the next panel. This picture shows a stud and spacer about as close as we can really have them be without creating a problem. Despite our plan to make 3 pieces fit the 8’5″ gap on the third row, we ended up needing 4 smaller pieces due to stud spacing.
Third row of panels on the south wall complete and bridges in place for attachment to the next row.
It was 45 degrees at 5am when I left for the gym. When I got to work around 7am, it was a tad warmer. By 8am, a front had moved in and it was SNOWING. Snowing with the sky full of dark, ominous clouds. Then it stopped and the sun came out. Blue skies. Then, at 8:55am, it was snowing again but the sun was still out. Weird day.
Brian finished the rest of the south wall except for one panel. He’ll fit the last piece on Wednesday and then start the north wall. We are going to leave the counter-sinking until the end.
The Arched Cabin crew had to work with curved pieces of LP Smartside when they built the endcaps. One tidbit of advice they left us with was that we could use the scraps as stencils for cutting our wall material. Brilliant.
Brian transcribed the arch line with a weird spacer / sharpie and made a template for all subsequent third row edges.
Used a small scrap with the factory edge to establish optimal gap spacing over a few off kilter panels. If only the scrap had actually been straight…
This was where Brian was at when I arrived after work. The gap was 40″ at its widest point and then tapered to a point at the top. We decided to fit the pointy part first and then fill the remainder.
That was some tricky panel cutting. At least the final piece will be easy.
Happy Birthday Bean Vivant! One year in business, hurrah!
We woke a little earlier than usual so we could pick up some birthday cheesecake to hand out and to hang up our celebration signs. What a fun day!
The house project of the day was to finish the south wall and begin the north wall. Brian cut and attached the final piece for the south wall and started the prep work for the north wall. He caulked the seam between the subfloor and the endcap’s bottom plate, spray-foamed some tight areas that were missing insulation and scraped flat other areas where the cellulose was bursting out of plane. He also had to move everything that had been ‘organized’ against that wall over to the south side to clear space for working and ladder movement.
After all that was done, it was nearly 6pm and time to call it quits. Paneling the north side will start Thursday, after dealing with several protruding toenails.
All the stuff moved away from the north wall.
Caulked line between the subfloor and the north endcap bottom plate
Spray foam in a small vertical gap on the north endcap.
Removed some cured Daptex open-cell spray foam to see what it was about. Surprisingly tough to remove yet still very flexible.
Brian decided he wanted an actually straight straight-edge going forward so that we could make reliable cuts. He picked up a 4ft straight edge and 4rft drywall square and compared them. He found that the drywall square was squarer than his framing square and bent it back into shape. However he returned the drywall square because it was too unwieldy.
This bumper sticker says, “Nobody cares about your stick figure family” and depicts a knobby tired Jeep running over stick figures.