We are eager to complete the north wall because then we’ll be done with complex panel cutting. That’ll allow us to make an accurate estimate of the number of panels we need to finish the arched walls. If we can finish the north wall by Saturday, we can make a Tucson drive on Sunday to get however many we need to finish.
Having completed the prep work on Wednesday, Brian was able to start the north side in the afternoon. He ran into an issue when he used the new Bosch blade for the oscillating tool to cut the opening for an outlet. The new blade is thinner, floppier and thus a bit spastic until it finds a groove. It works great for cutting directly into something (plunge) and for making the big initial cuts through a board, but slight edge adjustments can be tricky. Because of its sometimes unpredictable nature, the board, which had been basically ready for attachment, was cut with an outlet opening too large for the outlet cover. Now that panel is scrap for a different part of the wall.
Toenail corrections in progress.
Something like 8 toenails had to be countersunk or replaced before paneling.
Harvesting excess insulation to prevent panel bulge near the arch wall.
First panel on the north wall.
It took some effort with the new oscillating tool blade, but that is a perfect outlet opening.
Me “helping” after work.
Boy, time is fun when you’re having flies (Webster).
Latest lunch special – crockpot chicken with sour cream and salsa.
More paneling. Brian nearly finished the first row, and would’ve finished, except for an issue with the last panel. Everything was cut perfectly and then he realized the panel to the left of the final panel terminated exactly on a stud and therefore did not allow space for the bridge connection system. Drat! Thus, the next task is to remove the panel that terminates on the stud, trim it to end well before the stud, add bridges, trim the final panel (which previously was exactly the width of the remaining wall space – double drat!), attach this panel, attach bridges to it and insert a skinny panel to fill the gap.
Here Brian fights a warped panel into compliance. This is why he insists on picking out non-warped panels from the stack at the store.
It’s coming together! Only two panels to go.
Next panel is in place. Only one panel left for the first row.
The final panel and the stud issue – the panel to the left is the one that will need to be trimmed. And then TWO panels will get attached. At least all the holes are cut already.
Brian finished the first row and then started working on determining the location of the wall penetration for our heat pump. Because we know it is going to be positioned at least partially in the second row of panels, we needed to figure out its exact location and make the hole for the PVC pipe that ushers its connections through the wall.
Plunging with the oscillating tool to get rid of our overly long furring strip ends. The new Bosch bi-metal blade is extremely good at this. What took almost a minute before is now done in like 10 seconds.
While I cut more bridges, Brian created a duct location template to attach to the heat pump mounting bracket so we could find the optimal stud / duct position.
Brian creating the template. This is a lesson learned from having installed the same mini-split heat pump unit at the shack.
Mounting bracket with attached template.
Sydney’s still life art installation, called “frisbee on Portuguese bowl of water.”
As we mentioned above, the new blade can be a little difficult to use for some types of cuts. My (Chelsea) first few bridges were quite a sight.
I’m not sure where they went but the New Mexico state insect is back. Welcome home Tarantula Hawk Wasp.
Cloud Battle or maybe Cloud Explosion?
Happy May Day y’all. We went to the land of Tucson, purchased stuff, ate some food, hit some bugs on the way back, unloaded and went to sleep.
Chicken curry and Kung pao chicken, Neo Malaysian & Sushi, Tucson, AZ (Brian enjoys this kung pao more than any other he’s had. I thought the curry was so-so.)
French press and flour-less chocolate cake.
We hit 2-3 swarms of insects on the drive back. Each time, it sounded like an abrupt and heavy rainstorm. When we eventually parked, I found a bee smashed near the handle of the passenger door. So apparently, we drove through a few swarms of bees at 75 mph.
The clouds looked smeared or out of focus once we were halfway between Lordsburg and Silver City. It’s difficult to see, but Cook’s Peak is in the background, mostly obscured by the smooshed clouds.
We picked up some new oscillating tool blades. The Bosch carbide ones are said to be thicker than our bi-metal one (thus more controllable) and nigh everlasting. They’re even up to the task of metal cutting. We hear the Harbor Freight HSS half moon blade is good for long straight lines.