Pages Navigation Menu

high desert. small house.

Days 305-306: Paneling Part XIV, Finishing the West Wall

Saturday, 5/14
Twas the start to a very productive weekend.  The end is in sight.  Full steam ahead.  Go dog go.  Rip a hit.

I met Brian at the house and learned that we needed to get some 2x4s before the lumber store closed for the weekend. Out of nowhere, a storm blew in. While we were making coffee at the shack, the skies opened up. We went to the hardware store and waited for about 20 minutes until the rain had mostly moved on. Then, back to the house to unload.

After work, I met Brian at the house and learned that we needed to get some 2x4s before the lumber store closed for the weekend. We stopped at the shack to make coffee and before we could leave, a storm blew in and the skies opened up. We drove over to the hardware store and waited about 20 minutes for the rain to stop (while enjoying our coffee).  We started sorting through the lumber around 4:15, finished by 4:45 and then, back to the house to unload.

We were greeted by this sentinel quail upon driving up our driveway.

We were greeted by this sentinel quail upon driving up our driveway.

While cutting out a cross beam notch, Brian experienced just how precise the new new blade is - he was able to trim....

While cutting out a cross beam notch, Brian illustrated just how precise the new new blade is – he was able to plunge-trim the top edge while leaving this hair thin bridge suspended in place.

Now that we're on the fourth row, The Paneling Ram is no longer helpful. Instead, we're using a Captain Leaning 2x4.

Now that we’re on the fourth row, The Paneling Ram is no longer helpful. Instead, we’re using Captain Leaning 2×4.

First three boards of the fourth row are in place.

First three boards of the fourth row are in place.  Saturday over.

My bubblebee, what a big flower you have.

My bumblebee, what a big flower you have.

Sunday, 5/15
Wowee kazam what a busy day.  We were out the door by 8:30am and headed to the coffee shack to take care of a few things.  The wind was supposed to be bad in the afternoon, so we wanted to weigh down our wall a little better to prevent it from drifting into the drive-through space.  With that done, we went back to the apartment, grabbed the dogs and headed to the house.

We decided to take a break around noon because we were super hungry.  The dogs had also been locked in their car crates for awhile and it was starting to be too warm to have them stashed there.

[One of our neighbors uses Idaho St as an extension of their yard by letting their dogs run free when they’re outside.  They have four dogs all larger than Trooper and Sydney.  Because we don’t have a gate yet, Trooper and Sydney feel the need to run down the driveway to Idaho St anytime their dogs are out – which is often.  This creates a problem because Brian and I are usually working in the house with ear protection on and we can’t hear if there’s a dog fight breaking out.  Trooper gets along with all of them but Sydney absolutely hates one of their dogs – and the feeling is mutual.  So yeah…it’s a recipe for disaster which means the best protocol is to just lock our dogs in the car when we’re not out with them.]

So, we were super hungry and the dogs were getting hot.  We needed to go back to the apartment.  So what did we do?  We locked our car keys inside the house.  🙁

I didn’t have my keys on me so we had no choice but to start walking back to the apartment (where my keys were locked inside).  I sent a text message to the property manager, hoping she was around to let us in.  No response, no response, just keep walking, no response…

She never responded.  But we got veryyyyy lucky.  It turned we had left the “backdoor” unlocked.  We went in, grabbed my keys, drove the Smart car back to the property, took the Fit (with poor dogs inside) back to the apartment, ate lunch and then headed back (this time sans dog team).

What a nice knot!

Attaching a vertical furring strip – What a nice knot!

We mentioned the too-high furring strips in the previous post. It actually worked out okay on the fourth row except for the last two panels. They both needed to have a little extra meat for connection.

We mentioned the too-high furring strips in the previous post. It actually worked out okay on the fourth row except for the last two panels. You can see there is a very narrow top attachment surface.  We attached some scrap 2×2 to create a little extra meat for connection.

Here I am, wiping down the foil and patching rips. Next up, spray foam the seam between the arched wall and the endcap.

Here I am, wiping down the foil and patching rips. Next up, spray foam the seam between the arched wall and the endcap.

These are some bugs from one of our trips to Home Depot - Thank goodness we'll be done before full bug season is here.

These are some highway bugs from one of our trips to Home Depot.  They’ve apparently become fossilized within the plywood matrix.  Brian thinks that we should polyurethane over them.

We finished around 7:30pm, went home to grab dogs and brought them to the property for dinner. While they were eating, we moved stuff from the east wall to the newly cleared out west area. Next up - paneling the east wall!

We finished around 7:30pm, went home to grab dogs and brought them to the property for dinner. While they were eating, we moved stuff from the east wall to the newly cleared out west area. Next up – paneling the east wall!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *