Pages Navigation Menu

high desert. small house.

Days 313-314: Prepping the Transition Zone

Sunday, 5/22 (Part 2)
After a short break, we started countersinking the panels we needed to apply the Varathane to.  In some out-of-plane areas, we had to remove screws periodically and bore out the hole with the countersink bit in order to avoid stressing the surface of the Tri-ply.  For the most part, though, all we had to was use the driver and smash the screws in further.  It went much faster than expected.

We then went right into polyurethanicating the panels near the bathroom.  In order to make things easy on ourselves, whenever we needed to apply the Varathane to a panel, we went ahead and did the whole panel.  That way we don’t have to worry about differentiating raw and already coated areas in the future and possibly applying two coats on accident to the overlap zone.

As the panel coating was underway, we acknowledged the lack of odor from the Varathane.  We had a window open but there wasn’t a strong cross breeze and we weren’t getting overwhelmed.  It then dawned on us that we may be long gone and that we might actually be outside, painting rocks…….this wasn’t the case though.

While Brian did the poly, I continued countersinking.  By the time he was done with the bathroom area, I had completed –

  • The first three rows on the west arched wall (only 2 remain)
  • The first two rows on the north wall (the crossbeam height and above remains)
  • Half of the first row on the south wall (most of it remains)

Given that countersinking is the only task that stands in the way of applying polyurethane everywhere, it looks like we will be there very soon.  Now we just have to hope Jeff, the Tilesman, is available soon.

The first panel to be polyurethanicated.

The first panel to be polyurethanicated.

The top panel over the bathroom.

The top panels over the bathroom.

The panels boarding the bathroom have the polyurethane. The interior bathroom walls will be painted.

The panels bordering the bathroom have the polyurethane. The interior bathroom walls will be painted.

It should be noted that two upsetting events occurred.  One – Brian dripped polyurethane on his head and had to go home to wash it out before it dried and became waterproof forever.  I laughed about this.

Two – While countersinking two screws bordering a bridge, I messed up and nearly lost the bridge behind the panel.  It took a tremendous amount of effort and several unscrewing/screwing/unscrewing attempts to get it back in place.  I think I scraped off the first several layers of skin on the tops of my fingers.  This was not funny and I suffered in silence with stifled grunts of effort while Brian was smugly painting up on the ladder.

We ran home to eat a snack and grab the dogs around 6pm.  While the dogs ate dinner on the hill, we gooped up the remaining two outlets.

Monday, 5/23
We spoke to the tile guy early in the morning.  We haven’t heard back about scheduling but it looks promising for some time this year.

2016-05-23 06.32.14

What a majestic, intelligent bird beast…who also happens to be raiding this dumpster.

Next up was a tour of the hardware stores to see what kind of molding they have to bridge the variable gap between the arched walls and the endcaps.  We did not originally plan to do anything with this space but we found that a gap naturally forms between the two types of walls due to stud irregularities.

While it is bridgeable in most places with caulk, there are a few zones where the gap is quite large.  From what we have found around town so far, we can either go with unpainted wood or pre-painted plastic.  The plastic is the most flexible and might be the most appropriate.  It will also match our white window boxes.

2016-05-23 14.27.16

Gap where the walls meet.

2016-05-23 14.25.53

Testing out a molding piece over the gap.

Also, we are almost 100% decided on our electric bike.  Since we also need a bean delivery vehicle for the shop, it seems that a cargo bike would be the most versatile option.  It could fit several pounds of beans with ease and would offer plenty of space to show some nice graphics about our business.  By narrowing down the options to cargo bikes, we have honed in on one or two different companies.  Stay tuned.

Brian spent the small work window getting the house organized so we could access all the walls for countersinking and applying the poly.  He also disassembled The Paneling Ram.  We won’t need it anymore, but we will need the strut, ropes and pulleys soon to hoist up the kitchen cabinets and the scaffold.

2016-05-23 16.10.44

All the scraps are now outside.

2016-05-23 17.15.31

After a day of drying, we found an area of veneer bubbles on one of the polyurethaned panels. This area might have been a spot that got little or glue from the factory. We are going to try sanding it carefully and recoating.

2016-05-23 17.34.09

This is a great before and after of two different log grain patterns. The panels to the left do not have poly yet because we were only concerned with the bathroom overlap panels. The panels to the right were coated Sunday evening and had one day dry time when this picture was taken.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *