Wake, walk, ride, roast. Lots of stuff going on at Bean Vivant, both with coffee traffic and the Smart car getting picked up. Brian was delayed until nearly 1pm just waiting for the tow truck to arrive. After lunch runs and errands, that put him at the house around 3pm. Instead of launching into a round of polyurethane, he moved stuff around, took care of little things and primed the work space.
We usually pick up ice on the way in to the shack most mornings. It was Brian’s turn to ride the bike so we did an experiment to see how it would be transporting the ice. No problem –
We were determined to finish the polyurethane today so we postponed some shack tasks until Thursday and Brian started at the house around noon. We have the two triangular pieces, one on either endcap and the whole west arched wall. Between 12-1:30pm, he moved stuff around and then prepped the panels by wiping them with the microfiber cloth. He has previously been doing this right before ‘painting’ a given set of panels but that has led to the polyurethane clumping up on the brush during its down time.
So this time, he wiped everything down, ran lunch to me at 2pm and was polyurethaning by 2:30pm.
Another thing happened – We confirmed our tile timeline with the tilesman. He’ll start THIS Friday at 9:30 and work Friday, Saturday and Sunday. That means we MUST finish the poly Wednesday so that Thursday can be devoted to clearing the house and sealing the floor.
ALSO, the Smart car peeps called us and reported that they found the rear tires to be worn out and there was some battery-related filter needed. Those were the original rear tires from nearly 3 years / 20K miles ago – not bad! Anyhow the tire wear has led us to consider leaving the car there and terminating our lease [3 months] early; otherwise we’re buying new tires that’ll last use 3 months. We’ll see what the deal is in the morning when the sales rep is back.
At the house – Brian worked as fast as possible on the poly, starting with the top flat surface of the bathroom (which we had forgotten about), then doing the remaining triangles and then finally moving to the arched wall. I arrived at 5:30pm and found him on the second panel of his first arched wall row. So…..5 rows to go before bedtime. !!!!!
While the dogs ate, I moved stuff out of the house, starting with the incredible amount of panel scraps. We are holding onto these annoying pieces because they are good sized and can be used for other things. We have other things we want to build and they would work great. But that has meant a lot of shuffling of them outside and inside.
Next was lumber scraps. Once the easy-to-store-on-pallets-under-the-house items were outside, I began sorting through piles of stuff to find garbage – empty Varathane cans, scraps of all sorts of building materials that were not reusable, empty screw boxes, etc. At that point, it was 7pm so I took the dogs home to make dinner. Brian had completed 2 of 5 rows.
When I got back from making dinner (~8pm), Brian was finishing up row 3 (so 2 remaining). We were just about out of light and we still had some team things to do with the stuff outside. We didn’t make our goal of all 5 rows but at least the remaining 2 are the easiest (accessible from the ground and mostly vertical).