Saturday, 6/18 (Part 2)
High of 99 degrees today. I was eager to get the dogs out of the apartment so after closing the shack at 2pm, I scooped them up and headed right to the house. Their dog den under the house is the coolest place for them to chill out.
During a plywood break, Brian tackled the toilet flange attachment with a mix of #12 and #10 stainless screws (#10s were needed to sneak in where the holes were lined up a little less well) .Falling asleep with the heat was quite the challenge and not very restful.
We had high hopes for the day but the weather had other plans. It was sooooooooo hot – 99 again. We countersunk most of the screws in the bathroom and added more screws where needed. We took a break to start a bike repair project that had been due for several days. The bike’s rear derailler mounting tab had been bent a bit in shipping and we’d been wanting to straighten it out.
We lucked out when a customer offered to lend us his derailler tab tool – The Park DAG-1. As we started to use it on Sunday, we found out that the lower run of chain rubbed the tire in the lowest gear, so we also had to re-align the rear wheel to maintain chain clearance. That means re-re-aligning the derailler and the disc brake as well. Fast forward 4.5 hours and we found ourselves at 6pm with a bike that was a pleasure to pedal. We hauled the dogs over to eat and then ran errands. Weekend over. Overnight low was in the high 60s. Poor doggoes.
Brian used 20 “mending plates” ($0.56 each) to create the bridges under the house [supporting unsupported panel edges here and there], and then moved on to securing the plumbing / vent piping with plumber’s tape. The plumbing inspector said it had to be supported every 4 feet.
I finished countersinking the bathroom screws except for 4-5 in the back corner of the secret closet that I couldn’t reach. Brian will have to do those.
Brian finished the plumber’s tape installation and also caulked the outside edge of the under-house plywood to prevent sneaky water from getting blown in and pooling. When I arrived, we discussed whether we’d like to assemble the scaffold or not. The heat was high and fatigue was setting in….we ended up not doing it. The forecast called for a 20% chance of rain overnight so we started the completely demoralizing act of moving everything into and underneath the house.
Tomorrow, Brian will move things around and put some stuff back outside so we have room to work inside. If we can arrive at 5:30pm with some energy then we might put the scaffold supporting monstrosities back in place.