Days 347-348: Caulking the Seams, Part I

Saturday, 6/25
Brian used the rest of each paint color to do a second-ish coat on each side of the bathroom.  We had noticed some splotchy patches [due to whatever odd roller dynamic] that we wanted to hit again with more paint.

When I arrived, he was just wrapping up with the paint.  We organized the areas in the house where the monstrosities go and then hauled them in.  It was very tricky work getting them under the scaffold platform because we had the HRVs to avoid and the finished walls to protect.  While pushing up and under with the legs, the top platform really wanted to sway into the endcap.  We prevented this from happening by using our ratchet straps to hold the platform roughly in center.

You can see the white areas near the bottom of this photo.

If you squint, you can see the white areas near the bottom of this photo.

Leg monstrosities back under the scaffold platform.

Leg monstrosities back under the scaffold platform.

We anticipated a full day Sunday,  so we called it a night around 5pm and took the evening off.

Sunday, 6/26
With enthusiasm and vigor, we applied ourselves to the seam caulking project.  The first requirement was attaching the scaffold support members so it was be a safe surface again.  Next, we climbed up and started with the clear caulk along the strut.  With that out of the way, we jammed in duct seal into the smoke detector holes and used butyl rubber where the lag screws were attaching the strut.

At this point, we were still undecided about what caulk color to use so we flipped a coin.  Twice it said brown, so we went with brown.  We started up at the top, caulked the first rows on either side of the center beam, caulked the seams that were reachable at the top of each endcap, came down and moved the scaffold to the west, did the second row of panels there and ended the evening with some seams on the base of the north endcap.

2016-06-26 13.19.32

Diagonal braces are attached – Brian says it is actually BETTER constructed this time so it should feel safer on top. We opted out of reassembling the metal scaffold and instead are using the ladder to get to the scaffold platform.

2016-06-26 12.16.31

Clear caulk (goes on white) along the strut and center wooden beam.

2016-06-26 12.43.37-1

Brian used a Bean Vivant straw to extend the caulk reach so that he could hit low clearance areas.

2016-06-26 12.01.28

Duct seal and smoke detector box.  It’s very high up so we want to avoid air moving through it.

2016-06-26 16.10.48

Butyl rubber around the lag screws.

2016-06-26 12.57.51

North endcap – First seam taped up and caulk smooshed in place.

2016-06-26 13.05.09

Tape removed – oooooh, how clean looking!

2016-06-26 13.47.53

Close-up of the completed caulk – it should recede a little as it dries and contracts.

Here's the magic in action.

Here’s the magic in action.

2016-06-26 16.35.56

Before and After: You can see the thick brown seam just to the right of the scaffold edge (this was a particularly large gap). To the right of that brown area is part of a seam that hasn’t been caulked yet. So while the brown is visible, the uncaulked gaps present dark spaces as well.

2016-06-26 17.57.00

We completed the first two rows on the west arched wall.  You can see some of the south endcap in the background that is done as well.

While Brian was doing something solo and I was twiddling my thumbs, I decided to make myself useful and start taping off other seams in the house even if we didn't plan to do them that night. I started with the north endcap.

While Brian was doing something solo and I was twiddling my thumbs, I decided to make myself useful and start taping off other seams in the house even if we didn’t plan to do them that night. I started with the north endcap.

The last thing we did before leaving the house was caulk the seams near the opening for the mini-split. We are hoping to install that soon so we can schedule the guy to come _______. He was very difficult to get a hold of last year when we were installing the mini-split at the shack so we want to plan accordingly this time.

The last thing we did before leaving the house was caulk the seams near the opening for the mini-split. We are hoping to install that soon so we can schedule the guy to come ‘commission’ it. He was very difficult to get a hold of last year when we were installing the mini-split at the shack so we want to plan accordingly this time.

Stormy skies again but nothing happened.

Stormy skies again but nothing happened.

Forgot to mention - Fred came with us to "help". He thought he would enjoy being under the open sky but it ended up stressing him out (swinging upside down is a sign of stress ..... or excitement...you have to learn to read his subtle body language and figure out what he's saying).

Forgot to mention – Fred came with us to “help”. We thought he would enjoy being under the open sky but it ended up stressing him out (swinging upside down is a sign of stress ….. or excitement…you have to learn to read his subtle body language and figure out what he’s saying).

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *