Pages Navigation Menu

high desert. small house.

Days 349-350: Caulking the Seams, Part II

Monday, 6/27
We had a lot of tasks for Monday after the morning coffee rush –

  • Call Sun Rays to schedule the commissioning of the mini-split
  • Call the building inspector to verify if our door landing plan is code legal
  • Get groceries
  • Drop coffee orders at the post office
  • Visit the hardware stores to check their concrete block inventory
  • Package and mail a few returns

Brian left on the bike around 12:30pm right as a storm was rolling in.  Fortunately, he made it to the house before the deluge.

Brian worked on caulking the west joints where the arched walls meet the endcaps.  All of the need-to-be-caulked areas toward the west had to be addressed so that the scaffold could be moved to the other side.  He also caulked the areas I had taped the night before.

Driveway chaos - we'll definitely need another load of base course

Driveway chaos – we’ll definitely need another load of base course

This photo nicely shows the colors and how they go together.

This photo nicely shows the colors and how they go together.

The big wall seam taped off and caulk smooshed in.

The big wall seam taped off and caulk smooshed in. (north wall)

Close-up of the caulk - The tube says we can use it in gaps up to an inch wide.

Close-up of the caulk – The tube says we can use it in gaps up to an inch wide. (south wall)

When I arrived, we discussed what had to be done so that he could be productive the next day.  We needed to move the scaffold, but prior to doing so, we needed to haul the stuff off the bathroom.  Thus, Brian started getting the rigging in place, this time with a second pulley and our new longer rope.

While he was high up working on the pulley, I started taping off any seams I could reach on ground level.  While he might not get to them tomorrow, at least they’ll be ready for him when he decides to do lower level stuff.

Boy, do we lead exciting lives.  We handed the heavy toilet down the ladder, followed by the slightly less heavy but more awkward bathroom sink basin.  Next, time to test the rope setup with the bathroom cabinet base.

For the duration of this project, I somehow ended up on the ground as the rope holder and object lower-er.  Up on top of the bathroom, Brian set up the ropes around the objects, guided them off the bathroom and then scurried down the ladder to help prevent the object from swinging.

It was tough but not impossible.  The trickiest part was adjusting my hands to allow more rope to slide through without losing my grip.  We ended up developing a pretty good rhythm where Brian would partially support the weight of the object (without unloading the hooks that were keeping it connected to the lower pulley carabiner) and I would quickly adjust my hands.

With the junk down, we moved everything to where they will eventually live.  To create more floor space, we put the kitchen counter on the cabinets.  Finally, we moved the scaffold all the way to the other side (~8 feet away); picking up each end, moving it 3 inches, putting it down, doing the same to the other side, etc.  Moving 3 inches at a time takes awhile and we finally called it quits around 7:15pm.

Double pulley setup

Double pulley setup – cuts the weight in half.

Connection to object scheme

Connection to object scheme.

Bathroom mostly cleared off and scaffold in its new place.

Bathroom mostly cleared off and scaffold in its new place.

Tuesday, 6/28
More seam caulking.

This is one of the mega seams.

This is one of the mega seams.

Horizontal seam along the length of the east arched wall.

Horizontal seam along the length of the east arched wall.

Caulk smooshed into place.

Caulk smooshed into place.

The mound that resulted when we covered the grounding rods and grounding electrode conductor. We have been waiting for the dirt to settle into the hole but it is taking forever. It looks like the recent rains have helped along the progress.

The mound that resulted when we covered the grounding rods and grounding electrode conductor. We have been waiting for the dirt to settle into the hole but it is taking forever. It looks like the recent rains have helped it along.

The yuccas are now in full bloom.

The yuccas are now in full bloom.

Brian found a really weird bug and it JUMPED ON HIS FACE!!!

Brian found a really weird bug and it JUMPED ON HIS FACE!!!

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *