What a day! All the top (scaffold required) work is DONE. We can take the scaffold down now!
The tip of this caulk tube has been cut way back at a sharp angle to facilitate the encapsulation of the non-countersunk screws along either side of the ridge (air sealing measure). The strut created an obstruction such that the screws had to be driven straight upward instead of perpendicular to the wall plane.
Here’s the intersection between the arch wall panels and the endcap. Not the prettiest [due to endcap stud irregularities], but massive caulking spans the gap and seals things up. Daptex spray foam was used as backer rod.
We also returned the 6′ wheeled metal scaffold to our friend so that we didn’t have it laying outside when the monsoons started. What a relief!
Brian first finished the other side of the ridge (caulking the screws as mentioned above) and then he wired and mounted the smoke detector. After picking up some more brown caulk, he started again on seams.
I arrived after work and started taping more seams. We seem about halfway done or maybe a little more. While I was working on the ground, Brian started dismantling the scaffold platform and moving the liberated plywood sheets onto the bathroom. Much to Brian’s displeasure, we did not finish taking apart the scaffold because I wanted to eat dinner. We left to head home around 7pm.
We needed some groceries in the morning so Brian decided to take the bike and test out the bins – it was a success! (There were many other things inside to start with but it was partially unloaded when Brian decided to take the picture.)
Attaching the smoke detector wire harness with wire nuts. Orange is only for interconnecting alarms, thus the bare ground is left unattached.
Smoke detector within a foot of the highest ceiling point as requested by the electrical inspector.
Happy July and rent day everybody. We woke to very damp and soggy weather which is good because “we really need the moisture“. (Moisture, moisture, moisture – the most commonly said word in the drive-thru during monsoon season).
Brian completed some more seams and when I arrived, we took apart the rest of the scaffold.
The scaffold is down!
It’s the end of days. Watch out
Taping off seams ahead of Brian.
The first, somewhat annoying task, was taking all of the lumber from the scaffold and getting it outside. The super long 2x4s were trickier to get out than they were to get in (thanks to the bathroom now being there). Once all the lumber was outside, we brainstormed about the best storage place until we could use it. We decided to create an elevated under-house shelf using some 2×6 scraps.
With everything safely stored under the house, we went back inside to do seams. We finished nearly the whole west arched wall before the light was too dim to continue.
Death of the scaffold
Rest in peace, scaffold.
Preliminary climbing rope attachment scheme. Bowlines create secure end loops in the nylon and the lower Prusik Knot [a type of hitch] provides a relatively gentle sling for the 1.5″ manila climbing rope. This worked fine but the 1/2″ braided nylon rope’s knot assembly hangs too low and stretches too much for Brian’s taste (he estimates .75″ stretch for a normal climber load; un-solid feeling). Btw – safe working load for this nylon rope is said to be 714 lbs – or half that if you subtract 50% for it having knots. Brian will attempt an alternate knot assembly involving a double figure 8 loop, which will hopefully hang higher and feel twice as solid.
Tucson time – enough said.
We have been waiting for this ‘Texas Canyon’ rest stop to open up since we moved here. It is surrounded by amazing rocks.
View to the north – don’t touch, climb on, deface, or look too long at.
A CRAZY bug we found on one of the information signs [this moth can probably scare spiders and scorpions away].
Another crazy bug, this one located about 8 inches below the first.
ANOTHER bug, this one off the sign on the wall of the building.