I woke up this morning with a tank-top-shaped sunburn on my back and all-around muscle soreness. I was also famished. After scarfing down the usual four eggs, I felt like I could eat a half pound of bacon. Where is this all coming from?!!? Oh yeah, that’s right – I moved nearly 6,000 pounds of cement blocks this weekend!!!!! [I did the math when I got to work – it was 2,979 lbs, moved twice – total of 5,958 lbs.]
A local surveyor, Z3 Planners & Surveyors, was recently testing out their new drone and they flew it over our property. Being awesome people, they printed off a few shots of the aerial view and brought them to us. Check it out! –
We have a few tasks to wrap up before we can start the inspector tour. The most pressing one is to install the small heat pump (also called a ‘mini-split’) and then get on the schedule of the difficult-to-get-ahold-of HVAC service man to vacuum the tubes. Once that is done, Brian will finish applying butyl rubber around the electric boxes, then move to adding duct seal inside the boxes, installing the outlets and covers and finally installing the fixtures [btw Duct Seal is essentially a softer, less sticky but messier type of butyl rubber that has a UL fire resistance rating and is better for stuffing into nooks; it is more like play doh whereas the Fabral seam tape we call butyl rubber is more like silly putty]. As far as we know, we will then be clear to call the inspectors.
Brian started the morning by returning the pallet the blocks were delivered on (and receiving our $16 deposit back) and then comparing our local options for scrubbable and waterproof caulk for behind the sink. We decided on Lexel.
Brian texted me mid-afternoon to report that the hot water heater was properly wired and functional. Woohoo!
Next up, he transported the 3 boxes of the mini-split to the house on the bike. He unpacked it, rough-installed the wall unit, shifted the mini-split block structure further away from the house (I had built it too close), set up the outdoor unit and was attaching the first of the two foam-wrapped copper tubes (lineset) when I arrived.
I helped him bend the lineset so that it maintained a downward slope down the side of the house. We then got the second one into place and taped them both to their corresponding wires coming from the indoor unit. We’re not going to connect them ourselves but we need them to stay up there in the meantime.
I went home to start dinner and Brian caulked around the sink and made a caulk ramp behind it to direct water back into the basin. Our apartment sink has just enough of a drop behind the basin that it collects water there and grows mildew. It’s gross and we want to prevent that.Tuesday, 7/19
A few forgotten photos from the weekend –
Business as usual in the morning – coffee chaos and then trips to stores. Brian left for the electric supply depot around noon to get the items he needed to wire the mini-split. We have yet to hear back from the HVAC man so we will probably call again tomorrow morning.
When I arrived at the house, Brian had already installed the conduit with the wires inside as well as the condensate tube. He needed help to hold the indoor unit in place while he wired it. Then I went outside to gently pull the condensate tube and conduit while he placed the unit back on the wall.
Next up, Brian attached the conduit to the exterior wall and then together, we applied butyl rubber behind the screws. I also emptied a load of coffee grounds into the cholla garden and encountered a mob of spiky plants. I don’t recall noticing them emerging from the ground in the past week but they’re here…and they’re big, spiky and dangerous. They’re all over our slope and the edge of the building pad.