All day raining – more Washington state type rain than New Mexico monsoon style. It started around noon and continued into the night. Oh well….we visited all of the hardware stores to see what kind of metal we have locally to attach a solar shade overhang above the windows and took care of some chores.
An all-day overcast Tuesday but no rain. We took care of chores and then caulked about half of the north side endcap where it meets the pbr-panel.
Earlier in the day, we called the generator rental company and it turns out they were lying last week. There is NO 25K generator in Alamogordo but there is a MUCH LARGER generator available in Silver. What? So we could have taken care of the floor last week?
The Floorsman had kindly offered to handle the pick up and return of the trailer carrying the generator. The problem we discovered is that the new option, the much larger generator, was quite large and the Floorsman felt it was too unwieldy to try and get it down our driveway. So the generator option was out. Our two choices are then – establish utility power at the property prior to sanding the subfloor OR try to borrow power from a neighbor.
We opted to ask Richard if we could use his power by plugging directly into his panel. In exchange, we would be happy to pay his power bill. He agreed and we moved forward with scheduling. As long as the flooring expert can successfully connect to Richard’s 60 year old panel, we should be sanding by Wednesday morning.
No rain or clouds in the forecast! Yes yes yes yes yes! The Floorsman pushed us back to later in the day and then rescheduled for Thursday.
After work, we picked up where we had left off with our side projects. The exterior caulking is now completed and Brian made another ridge vent baffle. We spent the final two hours of the evening (8pm-10pm) setting nails so that the mega-sander could operate smoothly.
Brian and the sand-man worked at the house from 8:30am-11:30am. The floor was much improved and there was basically no sawdust mess to clean up. Also, after checking all over with the straight-edge, the floorsman was more impressed with the floor than he thought he would be and remarked at the dead-flatness of several areas.
That night, we worked on the threshold and planned our next steps. In addition to the threshold, the mega-sander machine could not get into the corners. We need to flatten one and then fill any low spots with the roofing felt. THEN, and only then, can we move on.
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.