We left the shack an hour late because roasting took longer than usual (due to frequent interruptions by cars – a good thing). One of our customers met us at the house because he wanted a tour. After saying goodbye to him and scarfing down dinner, we finally started working on the north face windows. We taped the three windows and called it a night.
Again, some kind of weird time warp occurred and the day passed faster than we anticipated. We somehow missed lunch entirely. After work, we sped home to eat and then went back to town to buy paint. That’s right, we picked out our paint colors! After a long discussion with the sales rep and some internet research, we picked Sherwin Williams – Superpaint for the siding and Resiliance for the trim and door. Our first choice was actually the Superpaint all around, but they didn’t have it in Gloss in the quart size.
We made it to the house around 7:00pm with about 60-90 minutes of light left. I started caulking the nail holes and seams and Brian started investigating the door. It needs to be shimmed and have Magic Tape applied around it. Unfortunately, he found that the door was not installed properly and nearly catches in the upper corner of the open side. Once painted, it may drag against the frame. This necessitated a repair task prior to weatherizing the door and opening.
Both of our repair tasks that night should have been avoided by a proper end cap install. Speaking of which, we took some pictures of the other issues we described in our summary post.
After 30 minutes of battling a leaky caulk gun and coming to the conclusion that a wet paper towel was NOT the right tool for wiping off excess caulk, I decided to stop. Brian also had an issue with the new saw, so it was good timing. We stayed long enough to watch the sunset and catch our giant owl friend alight on the same tree as the first time.
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.