Just gotta say this – The floor feels A-MAZING. It is solid and just so nice to walk on. The past two weeks (with some evenings off for rain or recovery) was time well spent. People who do not install a layer of underlayment (because they’re doing carpet or just don’t feel like it) are really missing out.
We shimmed the door. Getting it exactly how we wanted took awhile but it was worth it. A door that opens and closes beautifully is easy to take for granted. Once it was perfecto, we broke off the shims and applied the Pella flashing tape. Lastly, until we have an overhang in place, we need to take special precautions against storm water infiltration over the door (where the manufacturer literature specified an opening height that was 3 inches too tall). We added foam closure scraps to the current setup, which is a piece of sloping LP Smartside shimmed down with some 2×6 scraps.
We cleaned up the mess that had accumulated on the floor of the house, organized stuff and began the metal crossbeam trimming project. We have 5 of 8 left to cut.
Brian finished cutting the beams and Chelsea, moi, took care of maintenance/house stuff. Brian came home that night with black speckles all over him. How does one remove metal shavings from their face? Using a magnet of course! It was terrrrribbbbblleeeee.
After work, Brian visited the hardware store to double-check what options they had for furring strips. It looks like we’ll end up using 16′ 2x4s. He also looked at the screw selection because we have pretty specific needs for the attachment of the 2x4s to the metal beams.
We removed everything from the house and then vacuumed with extreme precision in order not to miss any metal razor sharp shavings. Then everything went back into the house and we called it a night.
Brian left work a little early and vacuumed the final corner as well as the insulation and areas around the beams. The metal shavings made quite the spread of doom. The last thing to do before moving onto finishing the walls was to inspect the areas which would be forever closed off to us once the walls were up. We found gouges and tears in the insulation where the metal beams had been installed stabbing hard into the insulation. So we patched those.
There was also a visible gap running the length of the floor between one piece of subfloor and the metal beam base. So we filled that with some butyl rubber. We also ran some caulk at the base of the ribs where air leaking was probable.
We bought our first set of 2x4s to be used as furring strips. We’ll screw the 2x4s into the metal beams, perpendicular to the ribs. The second layer of insulation will go between the 2×4 and the beam, and thereby be secured in place. The plywood for the walls will then be attached to the 2x4s.
We vacuumed off a few rolls of the insulation (they were covered in sawdust from having been stored overhead during the sanding project) and began to roll one out. We know from the crew’s time here that the rolls tend to extend a little beyond the length of the house, so we were aiming to see how far that extension was. We also brainstormed about which tape to use to connect the roll to the metal beams in a few places so that we don’t have to hold it while driving the screws through the 2x4s.
Upon realizing that is was 7:30 and we still had 2 lbs of beef, 2 lbs of chicken, 1.5 lbs of bacon and 2 bunches of chard to cook (not to mention the plethora of dishes that would follow all that), we called it a night.
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.