We got hit by a pretty big storm during the day and it lasted until the next morning, alternating between hail and serious winds and piddly-paddly drops. In the rain gaps, we were able to get the rest of the window drip caps attached. Only the overhang drip cap, door trim and door drip cap remain for complete weather proofing.
During the day, we started researching where we could find scaffolding in order to install the 2×4 furring strips and 4×4 plywood in the higher areas. The local equipment rental place doesn’t have one so if we wanted to rent, we’d be looking at a 4 hour round-trip drive (twice!) to Las Cruces. A few stores appear to have them for sale but they are nearly $200. It’s too big and rarely used to make sense to purchase….but if we have to, I guess we will.
On the spur of the moment, Brian decided to ask one of the customers if he knew where we might find one to rent. The answer – Yes, he has his own and he’d be more than happy to lend it to us. He has TWO to choose from and he was happy to drop it at our house in his pickup truck. What a nice guy!
The storms are brief and exciting but they create temporary chaos in the driveway and cause us to track mud into the house. We have discussed this before, and we came to the conclusion that the situation would be greatly improved if we move the driveway project to the top of the priority list.
After being skunked out of work Tuesday, we decided to investigate getting some material put down. We called up a few contractors on Wednesday and decided on an order of 14 tons (1 truck load) of base course. We know this isn’t going to cover the whole driveway, but it will allow us to put a layer down in front of the house and a small bit into the driveway. That way we can park and exit onto something other than a mud war zone.
Why did we go with base course? Our master excavator (Sir Boyd) suggested it early on and commented on its ability to compact. Gravel, while attractive and common, will always be loose. We especially don’t want loose stones because we play frisbee on the driveway and want a hard surface for setting up outdoor furniture. We decided on base course because it sounds most suitable for us AND because we can add gravel or pavement (which requires base course) later if we change our minds.
Brian attached the drip cap over the overhang and then the skies began to fill up with dark clouds. We got the dogs back in the car, to the apartment and unloaded just as the Thunder Boss hit us and the rain became heavy. I didn’t even bother with the leashes; I just started running and they followed.
The base course was delivered around 9:00am. Brian met the truck and helped oversee the dump.
We got to the house as quickly as possible after going home and eating a quick dinner. Brian made progress with the weatherizing – caulking seams on the drip caps. I started on the gravel pile, throwing shovel-fulls at the tire trenches and notorious wet spots. Next, I used a bucket and carried loads around the corner to the front and covered the part of the driveway that leads to the front door.
It was challenging work and a cold, dark night. We stopped around 7:30pm, planned the next steps for the furring strip project, and headed home.
For a full summary of our experience with Arched Cabins, please read Arched Cabin Summary.