We were hiking in the Boston Hill Open Space this morning when we came across an abandoned foundation. The cement looked clean and new-ish but you could tell it was a forgotten project. So naturally, we climbed onto it to look around.
It was a big foundation. While we were walking around on one end, we got the brilliant idea to measure it to see what small portion of it would be our house. The extendo-leashes are 16′ each so we attempted to estimate with them.
Out of the blue, we heard this sound of water contact, similar to someone doing a cannonball into a pool. It was a big sound. Knowing Sydney had been farting around on the opposite side of the foundation, I immediately understood that she had fallen into some body of water.
As mentioned in a previous post, Boston Hill is an old mine. One of the reasons it was abandoned was because areas of it had caved in. There are also giant craters all over the hill from old mining access points.
These facts were running through my mind as I dropped the leash and immediately sprinted in her direction. My fear was that she had fallen a great distance into a body of water, from which I would not be able to reach her to haul her out. If the walls were steep and she was in the bottom, how would she climb out? How would I get in?
I rounded the edge of a cement outcropping in the foundation and found her. She was in what can only be described as a shaft of water. I had no idea what it was and still don’t. Because it is a hole within the smooth top of the foundation, I can only guess that she had walked “onto” the water thinking it was more cement. She tumbled in, head first, thankfully got herself turned around and was found gripping the foundation with her front feet.
Because she wasn’t able to push against anything with her back feet (deep water) and her front claws couldn’t get any traction into the smooth surface of the foundation, she was just holding on. She was also probably pooped because this was 40ish minutes into our hike and she runs the whole way.
Thankfully, I am a trained ‘dog saver’ and knew the tolerance limit of her collar.
Side story – Before Sydney joined the pack, Brian and I took Trooper up to a lake in Vermont to go canoeing. At one point, Trooper stepped ‘onto’ the water and did a somersault out of the boat, into the water. He panicked and immediately tried to climb back into the canoe, but the edge of it was about 2 feet above his head and he had nothing to push his back feet against.
I didn’t believe I’d be able to haul his butt up and in because he was so low in the water. It would have been lifting him VERTICALLY 2 feet by just his collar. I grabbed his collar thinking I’d just hold on to him and we’d paddle to shore. However, he thought my action meant it was time to come in the boat. Somehow we got his front feet up on the edge and between me pulling on his collar and him kicking, we got him in the boat.
Okay, so back to Sydney. As soon as I reached her, I grabbed her collar and leaned back. She popped right out! She then did lots of running around the foundation, shaking off the water.
Shortly after rescuing Sydney, Brian and I started laughing about it. Once the incident is over, it’s easy to see the humor. We decided to take some pictures (will send next). While doing that, Trooper came moseying over. Thinking it was impossible that Trooper would make the same stupid mistake, we continued taking our pictures.
Next thing you know, Trooper has started to fall in. He moves slower than Sydney so my guess is he was able to react before his body weight momentum had him all the way in. As we started hollering at him, he caught himself by splaying his front legs to either side, like superman, bracing against the side of the shaft. He then back-peddled and got out. In the end, he only got his face, neck and chest wet.
That’s our adventure of the morning! We’re curious to know what’s in the shaft. We’ll probably visit it a few times a week until the water is dried up and then report on our findings.
Quick Land Update
We’ve made a total of 4 offers so far but all have been passed on. We started with properties that were well beyond our target and are working our way down the wish list. As a result, each offer is getting closer to the asking price.
We have a solid backup property that’s in the bag if necessary. There are two other properties that are nice and have either all or partial city utilities. One of them is in a subdivision with a minimum house size of 1000 square feet. Before we can make an offer there, we need to get a variance from either the developer or a majority of the property owners. We have already sent a letter to the developer. If that leads to a dead-end and we have to ask the property owners, we might only have to get 3 out of 5 people to give us the okay. And 2 of the votes would come from one person, who owns both her lot and the vacant lot (and would therefore be very eager to give us the okay and sell her property). So really, we’d only need one other person from the 3 remaining to give us the green light.
The other lot is pretty awesome. We put an offer in for it last night, contingent upon our satisfaction with the property lines (which are rather mysterious).